BVP believes fundamentally in rigorous mathematics, reading, writing, science, and arts instruction for all scholars, of all backgrounds.
In fact, we believe who they are is an asset in accessing that instruction, and a part of the curriculum for all their peers.
To support our belief that all scholars can achieve and will, one day, become successful college students, we work to foster a college prep culture beginning in kindergarten. Elements of college pride are built into the everyday nuances of our scholars’ days.
- Our classrooms are each named for a college or university.
- Scholars take frequent trips to college campuses as early as kindergarten.
- Our scholars identify not by their grade, but by the year they will graduate from a four-year university.
The academic program at every BVP school includes:
- A strong college culture, diverse student body, and constant celebration of PRIDE values.
- Rigorous standards-based curriculum, inclusive of the arts and physical education.
- Frequent assessments used to drive instruction.
- Consistent research-based instructional practices supported by professional development and supervision.
Would you like to learn more about BVP’s approach to academics?
Watch our video on academics below or visit our elementary, upper elementary, junior high, or high school pages.
"Teaching 7th graders is one of the hardest and most rewarding things you can do. Scholars show me the best of humanity on a daily basis."
"I choose to work at BVP because I truly believe in our intentional diversity model and the notion that all kids deserve an equal education no matter their zip code."
"BVP truly lives the scholar first mindset! All stakeholders often question, 'How can we do better for our scholars?'"
"BVP has made me feel like it's not only okay, but great, to be an openly queer teacher. I feel so accepted every day when I step through the doors."